When Your Dental Work Falls Out

Posted .

Over time, the space holding a filling in your tooth can get bigger, and the filling can fall out. Or the dental cement in holding your crown or veneer in place may wear away. In such cases, you should call and make an appointment with your dentist to have your dental work replaced or reattached.

Normally, no pain is involved when you lose a filling, although you may experience some sensitivity to heat, cold or air passing over the empty space. You may able to use cotton pellets or temporary fillings to keep the area covered until your appointment. Temporary fillings and cotton pellets are available at many drug and grocery stores. You may also be able to fill the cavity with dental cement, which is also available over the counter. If you lose a crown, clean the inside and coat it with dental cement. Then try to slip it back on. Even if you are successful you will still need to see the dentist for a permanent repair. If you can’t put it back on, save it and bring it with you the appointment.

Without your crown, the dentin of your tooth is exposed, which is much more vulnerable to damage and decay than your natural tooth enamel, so you should make an appointment with your dentist as soon as you can. If a veneer falls off, save it and bring it with you to your dental appointment. Your dentist will either reattach it, or place a temporary veneer on your tooth until a new veneer is crafted.

If you have a problem with loose dental work, if you are looking for a family, dentist, or if you have a problem with your teeth, our dentist, Dr. Teresa Cody will be happy to see you. If you would like to make an appointment at C & C Dental in Sugar Land, Texas, call 281-201-4332 today and we’ll get you in as soon as we can.